The Auction at Graceland•Elvis Week•August 12, 2018
Category:
Search By:
This lot is closed for bidding. Bidding ended on 8/12/2018

From The Tar-Zen Collection

The Files of Hill and Range: Elvis Presley's Music Publisher

Lots 26-29 represent an unprecedented opportunity in the annals of Elvis Presley collecting. Based on their content and context to each other, these documents emanate from the files of Hill and Range Songs, Inc. They document historical, even seminal, points in the career of the 20th century's most important entertainer. We see the agreement for arguably his most recognizable hit song and the contracts with the publishing company and the man, Colonel Parker, that would help drive his career to never before seen heights. Furthermore are documents that give a glimpse into the inner workings of Elvis' early empire. Graceland Auctions is proud to present this incredible assemblage of truly important and exciting artifacts.

It is often argued that Colonel Parker took a lion’s share of the monies made from the mega-star he managed for decades. Offered is an historic document that attests to the fact that very early on in Elvis’ career under the Colonel’s management, a large share of 25% was assigned to Colonel Parker. This single-page, typed document dated November 21, 1956 and signed by Elvis Presley is addressed to Colonel Thomas A. Parker and Gladys Music, Inc.; Elvis Presley Music, Inc.; Hill and Range Songs, Inc.; Ross Jungnickel, Inc.; and all of their associated, affiliated and subsidiary corporations. It transfers in detail this quarter share to Colonel Parker. The letter states:

In consideration of the sun of One ($1.00) Dollar and other good and valuable consideration, in hand paid to the undersigned, receipt of which is hereby acknowledged by him, the undersigned does hereby: 1. The undersigned, ELVIS PRESLEY, hereby irrevocably assigns, transfers, sets over and delivers unto COLONEL THOMAS A. PARKER, his heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, (a) Twenty-five (25%) per cent of all songwriter royalties and all other payments (other than expenses and salaries payable by GLADYS MUSIC, INC.) which are now payable and which may hereafter be and become payable to ELVIS PRESLEY under and by virtue of any of the terms and provisions of that certain agreement dated November 1, 1956 between ELVIS PRESLEY and HILL AND RANGE SONGS, INC.; and such share of such songwriter royalties and all other payments is hereby so assigned and transferred for so long as any such songwriter royalties and other payments shall be payable to ELVIS PRESLEY under and by virtue of the terms and provisions of said agreement and all renewals, extensions, modifications and replacements thereof; and (b) Twenty-five (25%) per cent of all dividends which may be now payable and which may hereafter be and become payable to ELVIS PRESLEY as a stockholder of GLADY MUSIC, INC. 2. The undersigned, ELVIS PRESLEY, hereby irrevocably authorizes and instructs all of the corporations listed and referred to above, to divide and to pay all of the aforementioned songwriter royalties and other payments (other than expenses and salaries payable by GLADYS MUSIC, INC.) and all of the aforementioned dividends in the following manner: Seventy-five (75%) per cent thereof directly to and in the name of ELVIS PRESLEY and the other twenty-five (25%) per cent thereof directly to and in the name of COLONEL THOMAS A. PARKER.

With Elvis’ music career bursting into bloom and his first film being released in theaters, Elvis was already making it big and with this success came financial reward. This incredible document awarding Colonel Parker a large percentage of Elvis’ future royalties and dividends cements the arrangement and provides fodder for the theory that Colonel Parker received a major share, perhaps more than necessary, of a large part of Elvis’ compensation. The day after signing this agreement, Elvis hit the road, with concerts in Ohio and Kentucky. The document measures 13 by 8 1/2 inches (33.02 x 21.59 cm) and is accompanied by a letter of authenticity from Graceland Authenticated.



The document presents with moderate toning, darker along the edges, minor wrinkling and small areas of paper loss around the edges, especially near the filing hole punches. Excellent condition.
Historic November 21, 1956, Agreement Signed by Elvis Presley and Colonel Parker Granting Parker 25% of All Song Publishing Royalties*
Bidding
Current Bidding (Reserve Has Been Met)
Minimum Bid: $5,000.00
Final prices include buyers premium.: $16,250.00
Estimate: $10,000 - $20,000
Number Bids: 15
Auction closed on Sunday, August 12, 2018.
Email A Friend
Ask a Question
Have One To Sell

Auction Notepad

 

You may add/edit a note for this item or view the notepad:  

Submit    Delete     View all notepad items